Thursday, August 10, 2017

THE WRITING LIFE.... @ kathleenlawless

In the beginning there were words, and I channeled them every way I could.  Short fiction.  Nonfiction.  Historical Romance.  Contemporary Romance.  Erotic Romance.  Romantic Suspense.  Young Adult.  You get the idea.

At the beginning of my career I didn't want to be typecast or limited.  Many years later I wonder if I did myself a favor or a disservice.  Perhaps I listened too much to everyone but myself, influenced  by my agent, my editor, my colleagues, the market needs, etc.

Years later I have come full circle back to my first love, historical romance.  My first published books were western historical romance and after all these years I am back where I started, totally excited to be here.  It doesn't feel like going backwards, it feels like being back where I belong; planning a seven book series and having fun.

Did I take the long way to get here?  A few detours or wrong turns?  Or was it all necessary to shape me into the writer I am today?  What do you think is best?  Stay-the-course or dabble in multi-genres?  Perhaps we naturally change genres as our voice evolves and we seek out more and different challenges in our work.  Whatever and however we get here, it seems the writing life is very much a mirror of life itself.

My newsletter is going out soon with a 'Name-That-Bride' contest.  Sign up for a free novella in one of my many genres and a chance to name Brody's Bride.

www.kathleenlawless.com

11 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen,
    I write in two genres- romantic suspense and sci/fi fantasy. I enjoy them both, and find that once I'm finished a novel in one genre, I'm happy to be jumping into the other. It keeps my brain focussed!
    Sylvie Grayson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvie, sounds like a great balance for you. Glad to hear it is working so well.

      Delete
  2. Kathleen...I'm so pleased you're returning to historical romance. I enjoyed your westerns very much. Callie's Honor...a lovely book. I hope I got that right...I'm going from memory. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Memory, Bonnie. Callie's Honor was the first western historical, but far from the last.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kathleen, I'm taking your road, though I haven't tried anything in the historical genre yet. Maybe trying different styles is part of finding our voice?
    Anyway, best of luck with your new series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the longest ways are the best ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping you are right, Liz. Right now this feels right.

      Delete
  5. Such a great idea. I did this with my Street Team as well. Plan to mention the "winners" in the dedication. I loved Callie's Honor and Deliver Me, you certainly know how to write historical and keep the reader entertained. I hope your readers pick the perfect name. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Whitley, I'm excited to read through the responses.

      Delete
  6. Kathleen, I subscribe to the philosophy that there are no wrong turns or dead ins. We are exactly where we need to be, and everything we experience has meaning although we may not know what that meaning is until we need to draw upon that experience.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner