Novel writers are told to “write what you know.” I suppose that’s why I write books set in Kentucky and enjoyed my vacation last summer to Montana where I visited the setting of my Montana McKenna series.
Yet, I don’t need to always stick with what I know. I’ve also gone back in time to write a book set in 1283 England and 1890 Louisville.
In the same respect, a few of my heroines are characters with occupations or lifestyles that I have known: single mom, teacher, stay at home mom, and grandmother.
But most of my heroines have lives I’d love to know. Take a look.
- Pet psychic
- Owner of a thoroughbred horse farm
- Movie star
- Country music singer
- Daughter of a millionaire
- Thoroughbred exercise rider
- Bookstore owner
- Veterinarian (my money went to Auburn so my daughter could become one)
- A rancher’s wife and dude ranch owner
- A rancher’s daughter
- Clerk in a fly-fishing store
- Saddlebred horse trainer
- A medieval lady
What about you? Would you like to suspend disbelief and become one of these heroines? What other fantasies would you like to explore?