Friday, July 21, 2017

Lucky 7 with Connie Vines by @JoanReeves

 Please welcome my guest today bestselling author Connie Vines who wrote under the name Addison Murray for Precious Gems Romance.

Now she writes as Connie Vines.

She has been a member of Romance Writers of America and the Orange County RWA for decades and is the President of the GothRom Chapter of RWA.

Published in romance, historical, young adult, non-fiction, and fantasy, her novels have won the H.O.L.T. Medallion, Orange Rose, and the Award of Excellence.

Her Rodeo Romance Series, novella series and anthologies are available through her publisher, BLW, in print and e-book. Connie lives southern California with her husband and an adorable little dog name Chanel.


Connie Vines and the Lucky 7

1. When you were 18, what did you want to do with your life?

Coming from a career military family, I knew I didn’t wish to continue the nomadic life-style. I was still undecided about a career. However, I still wrote my ‘stories’ while I was enrolled in business classes. I lived in horse country and loved my horse and my poodle. Animals were and still are important in my life.

2. When you were 40 what did you want to do with your life?

At that point in time I realized I was a writer. I was working in education (publishing in children’s magazines), married with two sons in high school. I was a member of RWA, and involved in my local chapter (Orange Co. Chapter). I was also finalizing my novel for Precious Gems and my YA historical novel.

3. What is a character name you have always wanted to use but haven’t?

Athena. An ancient Greek name and the name of one of the mythological goddesses, and therefore, a little difficulty to plunk on a character.

(Note from Joan: My daughter's name Adina is a variation on Athena.)

4. What genre would you like to try but haven’t?

Steampunk.

I believe this appeals to me because there is a Victorian Regency tone, yet there are advanced devices and the thought process of the hero/heroin is more modern. Dracula, Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, and Sherlock Holmes were among my fave reads as a teen and can easily lend themselves to be reborn Steampunk fiction.

I am not ashamed to admit that I really liked “The League of Extraordinary Gentleman” movie (I don’t care that the reviews were negative). It would be challenging, as a writer, to work a story around the ‘limitations’ of the Victorian Time Period to produce a novel with unlikely setting: the wild west, or time travel –in the case of Dr. Who.

5. Let’s go to fantasy land. If time, distance, and other conditions of reality were no problem, where would you go for dinner tonight and with whom?

I would dine with Elizabeth Cochran Seaman—better known by her pen name Nellie Bly, an American journalist. She was also a writer, industrialist, inventor, and a charity worker who was widely known for her record-breaking trip around the world in 72 days, in emulation of Jules Verne's fictional character Phileas Fogg, and an exposé in which she faked insanity to study a mental institution from within. She was a pioneer in her field, and launched a new kind of investigative journalism.

Where would we dine? I wasn’t able to locate a specific restaurant in 1880’s Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I did find some recipes that I think would be "cutting edge" dining. Champagne Strawberry Soup, Baked Crab Cakes, and Egg Custard Pie.

6. Still in fantasy land, in the book shown above, who would you cast as the heroine and hero to star in the movie version of the book and why?

For my heroine, Meredith, I would cast Claire Coffee. She played Adalind Schade in the television series GRIMM. I appreciated the way she could play a likeable character after being completely evil the first several seasons. She also exhibited the dry humor and savoir-faire.

Viktor. I caught the movie Dracula Untold on television in 2014. Though the reviews were only average, I thought Luke Evans played the part of a tortured hero with depth and great sex-appeal. A Welsh actor with theater and movie experience.

7. Last question before we leave fantasy land. When the movie based on your books wins the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay, what will you wear to the Oscars?

Since Kate Middleton wears her gowns by changing it up a bit, I will do the same without the fear of being labeled too thrifty.

I would wear my black R & M Richards, evening gown. The gown has a retro feel due to the classic floral bead-work down the front and flapper cut of the dress changing to black tulle from knee to ankle.

Shoes. Never skimp on shoes, is my motto. Christian Louboutin or Valentino would be perfect—except for the price and the heels being impossibly high. So, I would select an Inc. International Concepts evening pumps (which look a great deal like the Valentino).

Here Today, Zombie Tomorrow

Alive, Steampunk novelist Meredith Misso worked hard at living the perfect SoCal celeb life. Now that she is a Zombie, it’s all about the make-up, non-vegan lifestyle, and her soon-to-be ex, who somehow managed to Velcro himself back into her life.

Novella length: “Quirky, Sassy, and Fun! ~Authors Den Review,

Thanks, Connie, for joining us today.

Readers, the next book in her Sassy & Fun Fantasy series will be available in October!

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! I want to be there when you have dinner with Nelly Bly--I think she's one of the most interesting people ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Connie's spirited imagination! My only regret is that I haven't met her in person yet--but since we're both West Coast gals, that could happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting today. Maybe you and Connie will meet one day. Happy reading.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner