Tuesday, May 9, 2017

What's Your Adventure?

If you could do anything, what would it be? Are you the adventuress type? Would you step out into the unknown?

A few years ago I would've said travel to the first one, and no to the other two, but sometimes an opportunity comes along and knocks you over the head. Karl and I lived in the same small Texas town for 33 years. We raised our two kids there. We did all the normal things parents do. Our weekends were filled with sports. We went to all the baseball and football games we could. We were involved with our children's lives and we loved ever minute of it. But then the kids grew up, went to college, and moved away. They married and had children of their own.

That's when Karl and I looked around. Did we want to stay in our safe little box? Was this all that was left? It was as if life still had more in store for us.

We began researching fulltime RVing and the idea became more interesting the more we looked into it. We found a fifth wheel we liked, had solar panels installed. Did more research. Took the RV out on weekends. We loved it, so we put the house on the market, quit the day jobs, and took off on our new adventure.

A few stats. Fulltime RVing isn't just for retirees. The average age is 43 and there are over a million who are fulltime. Some have kids that they homeschool--wow! I would've loved learning by seeing the US rather than reading from a boring history book!

But you have to be rich, right? Our fifth wheel cost $42,000 (new) and that was adding the combo washer and dryer. We're over 62 so we have a Sr Pass. We're staying at a COE in Oklahoma right now so we're paying half price, $10 a night. We have electricity. We're self contained and there's a faucet close enough to fill our water tank. Every COE has a dump station. We can stay 2 weeks, then move on to the next one. So, that figures $300 a month for rent. Our view is trees and the lake. It's serene and peaceful. It takes about 30 minutes to clean the RV and there's no yard work!

And the best thing, I can write fulltime again. By the way, Southern Comfort is still free. This is our adventure. What's yours?

Amazon    Nook    Kobo    iBooks

 
 

10 comments:

  1. Although I always want my home (and want to spend most of my time here) I think your adventure sounds wonderful! I'm trying to think of what one I would choose and can't quite pin it down, which makes me think maybe I'm living it. I love hearing about yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it makes you happy, then you are! Yes, we're having so much fun.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely way to live, Karen. Our adventures are all about travel, too. We like to decide on a trip, book one hotel for a couple of nights and then use the internet to figure out our next stop. We've had 2 tours through Europe and one through the UK this way. Our most recent wander was a driving tour through Nevada, Arizona and California. Some people would break out in hives not knowing their entire route ahead of time...but we enjoy the freedom. So glad you can write full time, too. A bonus for all your dedicated readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We have a partial plan but only because we're going to Michigan and there are not a lot of places to stay other than RV parks. Once we head toward Wyoming we'll dry camp a lot and then we'll leave more up in the air. Doesn't really bother us.

      Delete
  3. It is very cool you have found your bliss, Karen and I so admire you for changing things up. So many of us burrow into our comfort zone and rarely stretch outside of it. Because, face it, a cofort zone is.... comfortable. And I bet you have lots more to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. We've been married almost 48 years and we've pretty much been in our comfort zone the whole time. About time we started living wild and dangerous lol

      Delete
  4. Karen, I think your life sounds exciting and wonderful. I would love to give it a try, but my husband abhors driving big vehicles or even towing anything. He says never!

    I will admit to being attached to "stuff". Way too much stuff. Downsizing is so freeing.

    Now that my husband has retired we travel more than ever--and we've always loved traveling. Our go-to places are Europe and California. Since he retired two years ago, we've been to Europe five times and California four times. Throw in Las Vegas (which we love) about four times, and we are going to spend three weeks in England this summer. (It will be our tenth trip there.) I am surprised how economically you are able to RV. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time we pulled our fifth wheel we were both terrified! I do think the economical side is why so many retirees RV fulltime. Besides, you meet really cool people along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In fantasy, I'd love to do what you're doing. In reality, my husband hates to drive. I love to travel, but we plan out our trips in great detail in advance. I even choose restaurants beforehand in order to prevent our inability to make a decision in the moment. I'm so glad this works for you, though. What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were starting out I would definitely say we were more than a little nervous, but after our first year we've calmed. lol we're more seasoned I guess. The thing about it is, we usually only drive for about 4-5 hours when we're moving from place to place. Not too bad.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner