Thursday, May 19, 2016
As A Writer
Pamela Tracy here, and no the photo isn't of me. I'm the one taking the photo.
As a writer, I try to take advantage of every opportunity. Last night the local chapter of Sisters in Crime hosted a program by the Game and Fish department.
I'm acquainted with the Game and Fish department well, here in Arizona, because my family camps. And, we own ATVs. We meet the wardens often as they check to make sure we have purchased the right permit to camp, have tags on our ATVs, and carry a fishing license.
The fishing license story is funny because we've only gone fishing once. We bought a license, drove to the lake, couldn't find the license, went back to the story, was told they couldn't/wouldn't replace, and had to buy a second one within the hour.
I've not shopped at that hole-in-the-wall store since.
What I learned last night was…
1) If a javelina attacks me, I can shot it. I'm protecting myself.
2) If a javelina attacks my beloved dog - that I take camping with me - I cannot shot it. If it eats my dog, I've obeyed the law by not shooting it. I'm thinking that I'd be a lawbreaker because, yup, I'd shoot it. But, really, first I'd scream at it to go away.
3) I've learned that lizards are a high commodity black market exotic animal, and that Game and Fish are often out at night arresting those that steal from the desert.
4) Snakes, too, are stolen but they don't fall under game and fish. Interesting. Doves do; Pigeons don't. I listened to the officer talk about entering a house where cages upon cages of snakes and lizards waited for purchase. He spoke of seeing a venomous snake's cage on a shelf. Under the shelf, against the wall , was a baby's play area. ARG.
5) Game and fish is not really equipped to capture full grown tigers. The one time they had to, they used a big dog crate. Now, that game and fish guy is a hero in my book.
6) I learned what kind of ticket I'd get if I rode my quad in a restricted area.
All told, I had a great time and came away with some good ideas for a future suspense.
Color me happy.
Have you ever had dealings with game and fish?