Monday, March 13, 2017

Would you collaborate writing a series? I did! @MaddieJames

There are a lot of positives about collaborating with another author when writing a series. You have a built-in partner to bounce ideas off, and you also have someone else to share in the marketing endeavors. Twice the exposure, twice the fun! And of course, each author brings readers to the table and shares with the other.

There are also some pitfalls. Disagreements on how the series brand should be used, is one. Heat levels--are we writing sweet or sexy?--is another. Keeping up with each other's characters and what they are doing now--and even more difficult--keeping up with your co-author's secondary characters you didn't know about because you haven't read her current book yet. Yikes!

Fortunately, after writing two different series together, Jan Scarbrough and I have worked out the kinks. I know that Jan writes sweeter books than I do (generally), and I try to accommodate and not make mine over the top in the sex department. Yet, occasionally Jan will write a little more sexy too, which is awesome. So we agree on the heat level difference and we simply let our readers know this is what they will get. 

I think it's also important to know that Jan and I have known each other for over 20 years, so we are very familiar with each other's writing styles and the types of stories we like to read and write. I think this helps tremendously. It's a lot of work creating a new world that the two of us will write in, and then maintaining all of the information in that world to keep current. Jan and I once did this with two other authors, as well, so the four of us really did have to keep each other informed, creating town maps, character sketches, and a general world bible to keep everything straight. 

Collaboration is not for everyone but I've found it to be successful for me, and I think Jan would agree. Right now, we are also collaborating on marketing a current boxed set that is on sale for about another week. This is a great deal! We don't offer this sale frequently, so grab it while you can. It's available now through March 21, 2017. 

**ON SALE FOR 8 MORE DAYS!** 99cents
https://books2read.com/mckennasboxset
Welcome to McKenna Ranch! Meet Brody, Callie, Mercer and Parker—the four siblings in the clan of James McKenna, a Montana rancher, and their mom/step mom, Liz.
Beginning with a short prequel novella that tells the story of James McKenna and Liz Caldera, and how they came to blend their families, these stories put you on the McKenna Ranch near Yellowstone National Park. This series continues with Jan Scarbrough’s Brody, followed by Maddie James’ Callie, with additional stories that bring all the siblings home to the ranch. These sweet to sexy stories give you a glimpse into Montana rodeo and ranch life, and of course, provide lots of contemporary cowboy love and romance.
Included in this set:*
The Montana McKennas: Prequel, Book 1, by Jan Scarbrough and Maddie James
Brody, Book 2, by Jan Scarbrough
Callie, Book 3, by Maddie James
Parker, Book 4, by Maddie James
Mercer, Book 5, by Jan Scarbrough
Liz, Book 7, by Jan Scarbrough
**This set does not include Corporate Cowboy, a Montana Heat erotic romance.**
****
And while I have your attention. I'm part of a huge #instafreebie giveaway starting today. Here are the details! 

Novelists, Inc. (Ninc) GIVEAWAY!
Some of the multi-pubbed authors from Novelists Inc. (aka Ninc) have gathered together to offer you (via InstaFreebie) these novels for free.

You'll find NY Times Bestsellers, USA Today Bestsellers and Award-Winning authors among our offerings. Romance, mystery, thrillers, fantasy, YA...we've got something for everyone!

(You will be asked to subscribe to the author's newsletter in exchange.)
These are full novels unless otherwise noted.

Where to get these fabulous novels FOR FREE?


This free offer is available through April 7. Tell your friends!

****
Maddie James writes romance--but don't try to pin her down to one genre. From flirty contemporary romance to darker erotic titles, she just wants to silence the people in her head. Read more at www.maddiejames.com 

7 comments:

  1. I've never had the nerve to do this, although a friend and I do talk about it, but I think it is great when it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attempted to write with a partner once. Got as far as submitting a partial to Harlequin, but it didn't fly. Now, I'm wondering where the heck I filed that story. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddie, thanks for thinking of me for the series. It was fun. The most fun was the Prequel when I threw you a curve ball and got Liz pregnant. They YOU had to deal with that. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you did. But I handled it! It was fun.

      Delete
  4. I've not written with a partner, but I have collaborated on a linked anthology. It was fun, but we did have to create a bible for the collection. I have the Montana book set so thanks for the instafreebie link.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner