Friday, March 10, 2017

Book Signings Let you Meet New Readers by Jan Scarbrough

Back in the day, Maddie James and I participated in book signings at Walmart, because it had exclusive rights to sell the books we wrote for Precious Gems. Talk about amusing! Moms pushing shopping carts full of groceries and children stared at us. Men avoided eye contact. We were so proud to have paperbacks with our names on them we didn’t mind sitting behind a table peddling our books.

It’s fun to meet readers in person, not just online. The Walmart shoppers were not our readers. Sitting there could have been a waste of time, but a book signing is what you make of it. That’s why it’s good to take part of an event with other authors.

Unless you’re a New York Times Best Seller with a massive following, it’s unlikely that you’ll sell many books at a signing. That’s not the idea. The point is to meet people. Introduce yourself. Maybe they will buy your book. Maybe not. The hope is they will remember your name. If you’re lucky, they will read and like your books, and you’ll make a new fan.

This spring I’m participating in several events where I can meet readers. Come see me if you’re in the area.

Date
City, State
Venue
Event
Mar 18, 2017
11:00 AM
La Grange, KY
Book signing with Maddie James
April 18, 2017
4:00 - 8:00 PM
168 Taylorsville Rd
Taylorsville, KY
Author Fair
Apr 29, 2017
10:00 AM
LaGrange, KY
La Grange Community Center YMCA
Jun 9, 2017
8:00 AM
Erlanger, KY
Holiday Inn Erlanger, Kentucky
Jul 8, 2017
10:00 AM
Lexington, KY
Hilton Inn at The Mall at Lexington Green
Lexington Legendary Book Bash


4 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I've never learned to enjoy book-signings, but I'm usually on my own. This makes me think I need to get with some friends... Good luck at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, it's what you make it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love booksignings...always have a great time. Mostly because I really enjoy meeting people, even if they don't read my books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved booksignings--mine and those for other authors. Good luck, Jan. Hope you have a blast, meet tons of new readers, and sell books.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner