Wednesday, December 28, 2016

That Tingling Feeling


When I read a romance, I’m always hoping to get that tingling feeling, the one that hijacks my heart and makes me smile despite myself. 
It comes in layers. First is the light version, as in a meeting scene, when a girl catches gazes with a guy across a crowded room and feels the thread of attraction that connects the two of them.  It’s a feeling of promise based on the unknown and pure hope.
Next is the more anguished version of the tingle, when some twist has pulled the lovers apart, and she feels a pining, a wistful desire that’s unfulfilled. For Gilbert andSullivan fans, it’s captured in Josephine’s lament, “Sorry her lot who loves too well. Heavy the heart that hopes but vainly.”
Then, my favorite version of the tingle happens when the characters meet up again for a prolonged fight over real differences, and you can tell that half the anger is based on disappointment, or betrayal, or heartache.  If the guy ends up proposing during the fight, all the better.  That sort of scene kills me.
Of course, it helps to know everything will work out in the end, and in a romance, it always does. In the best ones, the tingle keeps evolving right along with the characters. That’s what keeps us coming back for more.

Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of The Vault of Dreamers and other young adult novels.

4 comments:

  1. It's what we all strive for, isn't it, to make readers feel that way? Great post, Caragh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting lost in the story. The push/pull coming from the hero and heroine. And yes, that tingly feeling. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that tingly feeling. It's strongest for me when nothing that happens is predictable.that's the best IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely analysis, Caragh. Spot on. Hope you have a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner