Friday, December 23, 2016

Cheryl Bolen Asks: What's Your Must-Watch Christmas Flick?


Is there a movie you enjoy re-watching every holiday season? For me, it's White Christmas. I was a very small little girl when the movie came out, and I still remember the thrill of seeing it for the first time and still remember which theatre I attended. (Growing up in Los Angeles, I frequented close to a dozen different movie theatres, including those on famed Hollywood Boulevard.)

The movie is visually appealing. Who can ever forget the gals in their red velvet trimmed with white fur? And what a setting! A snow lodge in Vermont. And, of course, it has romance, memorable songs, and a heart-warming story.

In many ways, it's a remake of an earlier black-and-white movie, Holiday Inn, which also starred Bing Crosby and also featured Irving  Berlin's wonderful music. That movie is my husband's favorite Christmas movie. Despite that it features the classiest guy to ever grace the silver screen, Fred Astaire, it's only my second favorite holiday movie. I'm too loyal to White Christmas.

There are a couple of other Christmas films that I adore. Who doesn't enjoy Ralphie's story in The Christmas Story? Who can ever forget its chop suey Christmas dinner?

And I'm always nostalgic over the television Grinch with narration by  Boris Karloff because it was the first Christmas TV show my firstborn ever watched. Even though it was four decades ago, I vividly remember how mesmerized he was and how hard he giggled when Max the dog put on the reindeer horns. It will always be special to me for those reasons.

Those who love Christmas movies can feast during December over at the Hallmark channel, but give me my old favorites. I'm a traditionalist. -- Cheryl Bolen loves Christmas so much, she's written seven Christmas stories, most of them novellas. Her full-length Christmas novel, His Golden Ring, won the Holt Medallion for Best Historical.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm the only one around who doesn't love The Christmas Story. I don't like Christmas Vacation or Home Alone, either. But I'm right there with you on White Christmas! Merry Christmas, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I agree with you on Christmas Vacation and Home Alone.

      Delete
  2. I love The Christmas Story...mostly because a lot of it was filmed in my hometown and the visit to the department stores was exactly my memory. Very nostalgic for me and that makes me happy at this time of year.

    I also love the 1951 Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol.

    Cheers and happy holidays to all our authors and our readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my sons-in-law doesn't like The Christmas Story. I've got a long list of favorite Christmas movies. Yes, White Christmas and Holiday Inn are on the list. So are the original Miracle on 34th Street, Love Actually, The Ref, The Season of Miracles, The Ultimate Gift, and so many more. Merry Christmas, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner