Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Writer's Life by Karen Kelley

If you're a writer then someone has probably told you at least once during your career that they have a horrible life and you should write their story. This has happened to me more than once. I was terribly flattered they enjoyed my writing so much they thought I would be the perfect candidate to write their life story.

Then I began to wonder. Had they really read my books? I put a lot of comedy in my stories and yes, explicit love scenes. For some reason, when I explained this to them, they got the strangest look on their faces. I usually never hear from them again.

I was at a family reunion once and a lot of us were sitting around the table. My sister in law raised her eyebrows and haughtily commented, 'Karen writes those kind of books'. She then said something referring to my sex life. I can't remember exactly what she said, but I went into shock, right before I died laughing. I told her I didn't know she read 'those kind of books' but I was glad she apparently enjoyed them.

Getting fan mail is really cool--most of the time. I once got an e-mail from a gentleman who said he'd read Southern Comfort three times and just knew there was a message in there for him. He was about to read it backwards and was certain he would find it. Okayyyy....

I procrastinate when it's time to go to work. Make no mistake about it, writing is work! I grumble and gripe. I put my ear buds in and turn on my music. I open the file with my current work in progress. I start writing.

Something magical happens. I lose myself in the story. I fall in love with my characters. That's what it's all about and I wouldn't want to do anything else.

I hope you fall in love with my latest series about six women who decide to go on a scavenger hunt for the perfect man.

Book 1: Roped
Book 2: Confessions
Book 3: Tempted
Coming in January Book 4: Undressed

 

Best Wishes,
Karen Kelley
www.authorkarenkelley.com (sign up for my newsletter group and I'll give you a free book)



6 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't decide between Roped and Tempted! Great post Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maddie! Roped is the first book in my new series. I'd start with that one. I hope you enjoy them. lol I've gone on a book binge lately.

      Delete
  2. A scavenger hunt for the perfect man? what a great concept! Wish I'd thought of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I say that all the time about other books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept. That seems to be the thing we all hear, that we should write others' life stories. I guess that IS what we do, but it still surprises me every time someone says something about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great premise for a series? I bet it's been popular. I've had many people tell me they'll tell me their life story and all I have to do is put it on paper and it will be a bestseller. I always tell them no one can tell it like they could. Then I encourage the person with the captivating life story to write it him/herself.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner