Thursday, November 10, 2016

                                  LEST WE FORGET                                 By Kathleen Lawless

Tomorrow marks the day dedicated to pay tribute to all our brave veterans, past and present.  These vets are the true heroes and heroines, many making the ultimate sacrifice so we can live free.  One hundred years ago the First World War raged in Europe affecting everyone, no matter where they lived. 

My grandfather was one of twin boys.  At age 17, their mother wouldn't allow them both enlist so they flipped a coin and off he went, proud to serve his country  With the special telepathy of twins, his brother knew when 'mate' was wounded.  He was one of the first returning vets at barely 18 years of age and no doubt suffering PTSD which no one even knew about in 1915. 

Eventually his twin introduced him to the woman who became my grandmother.  I was 13 when he died following a stayt in Veteran's Hospital, a life cut short by war.  My grandmother was a voracious reader and although my parents liked to read, I credit her for my love of books and storytelling.  I remember lending her Shanna by Kathleen Woodiwiss, curious for her reaction.  She loved it!  And had a few ribald remarks of her own to add.  She might have been a widow but she was no prude  I only wish she had lived long enough to see my books in print.

Many fellow authors pay tribute to our veterans as heroes and heroines starring in our love stories.  As I pin on my poppy and observe a moment of silent thanks tomorrow, I can only hope and pray that every veteran alive receives the help, the support, the heartfelt gratitude from society for their part in the battle for our rights and freedom.  Thanks to them we are able to write what we want, when we want, in a society with no censorship.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your grandfather's story. Thank you to all veterans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This had beter be one tradition that doesn't get diluted for the sake of being PC.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Kathleen. Our family has a history of serving, so respect for our veterans is a subject dear to my heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone who hasn't been affected. I like seeing the youth at the service, laying wreaths and poppies.

      Delete
  3. Such a sweet story, Kathleen. Any more twins happen along in your family? Gosh, your poppy comment brought back childhood memories. It's also a vital clue in one of Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Mysteries. (I love her books!) Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner