Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November and Pumpkin Bread @JoanReeves

Once upon a time, the civilized world--that would be the one civilized by the Romans--recognized only 10 named months in a year.

Of course, they were usually left with 2 unnamed months in winter which everyone kind of ignored since there wasn't much going on in agriculture, one of the major reasons calendars were created.

November was the 9th month of these named 10 months. The Latin word Novembris mensis means ninth month.

As most of you know, it took a while to actually get an accurate calendar. Different people tweaked the calendar every few years, adding months, changing months, adding days to months, subtracting days from months, and so on until we finally had something that made sense.

Let the Fall Frenzy Begin

However, I'm not really here to talk about calendars. I'm here to celebrate the first day of November because this is the day that is akin to a race announcer yelling, "Start your engines."

From this day until January 1, we'll all be in a headlong rush to cook, clean for company, bake, shop, eat, party, drink, sing, and generally make merry from now to New Year's Day when we'll all take an Alka Seltzer and wonder, "What was I thinking?"

To kick off this fabulous season of fun and frolic, I'm offering an easy and delicious Pumpkin Bread recipe that you can whip up and keep on hand for those drop-in visitors. First let me explain how I cook and bake. I use what's on hand. If a recipe calls for raisins and I don't have any, I may throw in dried cranberries or chocolate chips.

If I want to make something look extra pretty, like Pumpkin Bread, I may dust it with powdered sugar or drizzle on a glaze. If I don't have the time, I just plop it onto a serving plate and let the family go at it. By the way, you can make a simple pumpkin bread look elegant just by baking it in a bundt pan.

Joan's Easy Peasy Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin (not the pie filling just plain pumpkin)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 1/3 cups baking mix like Bisquick
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 cup raisins (try cranberries for a different taste)
Heat over to 350 degrees.

Spray baking pan--I use a bundt cake pan. You can use a loaf pan, muffin tins, or whatever you like. If you use dark metal pans, lower heat to 325 degrees.

Mix oil, pumpkin, eggs, and sugar. Add baking mix and cinnamon and mix well.

Mix in raisins or whatever your option is.

Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 - 55 minutes.

When done, turn upside down immediately on serving plate. Serve cold or warm.

Have a slice of my Easy Peasy Pumpkin Bread and read an ebook.

May I suggest LuvU4Ever? It's a Christmas romance short story, and it's free at all ebook sellers including Amazon Kindle.

Enjoy the changing weather and the holiday fun heading your way. Happy November!

Post Script

Joan Reeves writes sassy, sexy Contemporary Romance. Her books are available at all major ebook sellers with audio editions available at Amazon, Audible.com, and iTunes. Joan publishes Writing Hacks, a free subscription newsletter for writers, and WordPlay, an email list/newsletter for readers. Find Joan online: Blog, Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.

10 comments:

  1. Joan this is just the kind of recipe I love. I'll definitely try this one.

    And a free Christmas story? Wow! You're making my season bright! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Bonnie said! Great start to November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November is so busy we need short cuts like easy recipes.

      Delete
  3. What a delicious blog! And I'm there with you on "start your engines." It's my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I just finished a Christmas novella, I feel as if I've been in the holiday spirit for many weeks already!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Joan! Looks yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Becky. It is yummy. I'm having a slice right now with my coffee.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Try it. I think you'll find it really is delicious.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner