Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A "Gimme" Book by @BonnieEdwards #GemsinAttic



Definition: A gimme is one of those stories that almost writes itself. It falls fully formed into the writer’s mind and from there it’s a form of dictation, with the author transcribing what the mind has produced. A gimme is a rare and precious thing and in my 30 years of writing, I’ve only had one other. (Which turned into my bestselling series, The Tales of Perdition)

This book came to me after:
a)                               Learning that book 2 of my Christmas Collection would not be offered for sale on iBooks and Kobo and 3 other subscription services. After an intercession from author Marie Force Invitation to Christmas was given a second look and deemed to not have inappropriate content. Romance writers are an awesome group.
b)                              The results of the US election caused an uproar everywhere on social media. My head clattered with all the anger and dread and my creativity suffered while I struggled with the news about Invitation to Christmas. I discovered Candy Crush… (but enough about that)
c)                               I  realized that I could best serve my own need to write by writing!

And so within minutes I had my gimme book.

Because Cade Devine and Karyn Beckwith had made appearances in both Invitation to Christmas and Not-So-Blue Christmas I already knew a lot about them.

I knew that between them they had five daughters and were single parents.I knew they lived in different countries.























I knew it would be crazy to try to get these two people together in a Christmas novella, so I had my title: One Crazy Christmas.

Within an hour I knew how I could get five girls to begin to bond with each other and Karyn and Cade.

And so, the clatter in my head has ceased, my thoughts are clear and for once this seat-of-her-pants writer has a plot or at least a series of events that need to happen to sort out One Crazy Christmas.

If you’d like to meet Karyn and Cade to see what I have to work with you can purchase Not-So-Blue Christmas (Book 1) and Invitation to Christmas (Book 2) from these online retailers:




10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad everything got cleared up for your release, Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Yes, with help the book finally got uploaded to both iBooks and Kobo.

    If you've ever had gimme, then feel free to post about it in the comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not yet been fortunate enough to experience a gimme book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you're due, Kathleen...stay open...it'll show up someday. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oops, I sort of did--forgot you asked. ONE MORE SUMMER was written in 83 days (the 1st draft) and I never knew from one of those days to the next what was coming. What a disappointment that never happened again! But it's still the book closest to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gimmes are very very rare! I'm glad you had one.

      Delete
  5. All my books were easier to write before I worried so much about all the writing rules. LOL. I had two that came to me super fast, BACK IN HIS ARMS and UNDERCOVER VIRGIN. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the "rules" worry taking over all the fun. The nice thing about gimmes is you know the story's right immediately and just run with it.

      Delete
  6. Great covers, Bonnie! The closest thing I've had to a gimme was Counterfeit Countess which I wrote in ten weeks. But I think we all experience a lot of gimme subplots and scenes which seem to magically materialize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl I just read a lovely Regency of yours...I'm a fan!

      And thanks for the kind words on the covers...they're a challenge but fun, too.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner