Thursday, October 6, 2016

This past weekend I traveled to Georgia and attended the Moonlight and Magnolias Writer's Conference.  I haven't been to a con in a very long time and I went for a couple of reasons - not the least of which was to meet with my editor (whom I adore) and also to see one of my very best friends.

The day I arrived, my friend picked me up and we visited her town.  It's south of Atlanta.  Here's the courthouse.



I got to catch up with my friend, her family, and hang out in Newnan, GA.  That night after dinner we went to the conference hotel for the night and met up with another friend for a drink.  The conference started the next day.

One thing that I got from this conference - and which I needed - was the writing energy.  There's something about when you're around a bunch of other writers.  It's a tangible thing and we had write-in's where we sat and wrote without talking (not an easy task!)






I got some writing done.  I also had a lovely meeting with my editor.  We chatted over a nice meal and glass of wine.  I'm lucky to have such a great (and kind) editor who believes in me and my writing.  In fact, one of the things I took away from this conference was a sense of happiness with my life.

The workshops I attended were all positive and I'd say uplifting was the general tone I got.  We exercised by walking in the gym once and the rest of the time outside.  I ate a lot of great meals. Below is a steak salad I had for dinner one night.




All in all, I returned home refreshed and happy (and a bit tired, due to chatting all night with my friend for several nights!)  I'm glad to be where I am, love my family and my dogs, and am happy with my publisher and my stories.   Not a bad thing to take away from a conference.

If you're a writer and reading this - don't be like me and let years go by without attending an event of some sort with other writers.  It's really nice to hang out with people like you, with your tribe.  You might find you return home energized and ready to write more word!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds fun, Karen. My last conference was in Atlanta and it's a lovely city to visit. I'm glad it helped energize you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Karen. Connecting with fellow writers is important, but it's all too easy to make the 'too busy' or 'can't afford it' excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks as if a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to a conference in years. I miss them. I'm glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love conferences. This sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner