Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Temptation

Give in already. Am I right?
Some of us avoid temptation so we won’t have to squirm and wrestle with ourselves. Others resist temptation and find that the abstaining makes us stronger, more noble, and possibly thinner. The rest of us give in.
We eat the cookies, buy the books, sleep late.  We feel good about it, too, unlike poor Eve. How rotten for her that knowledge and evil were combined in the same tasty bite.
Knowledge is still irresistibly appealing, and one of the all time best places to indulge temptation is the public library. Everything’s free! Books, movies, puzzles, music, magazines, ebooks, audiobooks, and computer time are all available there, ready for consumption! Some libraries have public showers. Some have entrance tickets for amusement parks. Some have tai chi classes, ukuleles, and 3-D printers. So many healthy choices abound there.  
Of course, the goodies aren’t actually free because someone pays for them, but we do that collectively with our taxes, like magic, for the good of the people. That’s us!
So if you’re looking to indulge yourself, go to your local library and get tempted. The romance section is a delicious place to start.

Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of The Vault of Dreamers and other YA novels.

12 comments:

  1. I work at the library (I know, I'm retired, but dream jobs are still dream jobs), and I had no idea the scope of library services until now. A great reminder, Caragh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz ~ I'm sure you know other services, too! What a dream job, indeed.
      Best,
      Caragh

      Delete
  2. Wow! Did not know that! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen ~ My pleasure! Libraries are great.
      Caragh

      Delete
  3. I've recently started using the Ohio Digital Library and it's great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky ~ You can probably access that from anywhere.
      Happy reading!
      Caragh

      Delete
  4. I think my library has all those things except public showers. Our library also has concerts and movie nights. I love the library!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah ~ Concerts and movie nights sound great. I noticed the public showers in San Francisco Public Library, the downtown branch. They're an important resource for the homeless.
      Best,
      Caragh

      Delete
  5. Libraries have always been one of my favorite places on earth. I think Anne Rice said it best: "I picture heaven as a vast library, with unlimited volumes to read."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan ~ I know just what you mean. Best of all, we have libraries right here on earth.
    All best,
    Caragh

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner