Friday, October 14, 2016

Some books I write I like better than others by Jan Scarbrough



Why is that? Two main factors: the subject matter and the characters.

First of all, the heroine can be who I’d like to be, and the hero can be my idea of “Mr. Right.” For Kentucky Blue Bloods, my heroine was an heiress to a small Kentucky horse farm and the hero a hunky Brit. Talk about a “dream come true” on both accounts!

Secondly, the topic was fun: Thoroughbred-breeding farms in Kentucky. I read a book about one such farm, but the best part was the onsite research.

I booked a horse farm tour in the bluegrass with Unbridled Horse Tours. Early in September my friend Kathy joined me, and we drove to Midway, Kentucky. We met up with tour guide Nancy (Hap) Hapgood. She’d planned the private tour for us based upon what I wanted to see—broodmare farms and Keeneland. Our tour took place a week before the big September sale at Keeneland, but the horses had not arrived. However, I soaked up the atmosphere of the sales pavilion and the barns.

The biggest thrill of the day for me was our stop at Nuckols Farm in Midway, home of the 2001 Kentucky Derby winner Monarchos, the fastest living Derby winner (1:59.97).


Every year during the Keeneland September Yearling Sale, I think about my private tour of Kentucky horse country and why I love writing romance. 

5 comments:

  1. I have a favorite one, too, but I gotta admit it's almost like having a favorite child--wrong on so many levels! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan - your post reminds me of the best writing advice I ever received, "write what you love." Readers will notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Becky and Liz for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I can't honestly say that I like one book better than the other. I've always written whatever idea I've been in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, Jan, I admire your commitment to research!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner