Thursday, September 29, 2016

What Does an Author Do Between Books?

By Lynn Crandall

About six months ago, I released the final book in a five-book series. It was exciting to see the conclusion. It had been a fun but intense endeavor. I basked in the moment of no deadlines. 

It was more than a moment of basking, but not much. For the first time in years, I was not working on a book or any kind of writing. I had plans for more stories, but nothing in the works. I thought this was a good thing. Life had been full of work, family issues, illnesses, deaths, and moving from a house my husband and I had raised our family in. I thought a pause to refuel and just be would be the perfect way to live for a bit.

Very quickly I became agitated. I needed to be productive, produce another book. Urgency in me made me squirmy and on edge. I couldn’t relax. Whatever I was going to write next, I needed the process of it to begin. Now.

What does an author do between books? I read the title of a blog post that asked that question. It really resonated with me.

I had a plan. I was going to catch up with communications and promotions. I was going to read for pleasure, something that had taken a back seat for a while. I was going to enjoy chilling and walking and biking. I sat with my agitation and allowed my muscle memory of producing to ease. But the need to write a book didn’t lessen. In fact, in the space between books, I clarified, once again, my desire to continue writing.

I also missed my characters from the series. I loved writing their stories. So I wrote a short story that was loosely connected to the series, titled Finding Finn. That was so much fun, I want to do more shorts. But not right now. I’m chapters into my WIP and loving these characters just as much as the ones that have gone before. I haven’t decided yet if it will be a single title or a part of a trilogy, but it feels very natural and very good to be back into producing. I know I can’t take a year to write this new book, publishing just isn’t like that for writers like me. This book is more complex than ones I’ve written before, but even if I could take a year to write, I wouldn’t be able to or want to. My inner drive won’t let me. And my inner drive is helping me do what I love, so I’m not complaining.


So what does an author do between books? The answer for me is prepare in my head for the next book before the release of a book. Take a more leisurely pace for a few weeks (maybe less), then write the next book. It’s what makes me happy.

Do you have healthy strategies for the space between books? As a reader, do you patience to wait for a next book from a favorite author?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Lynn. I think authors tend to get depressed when they're not writing or at least mentally creating. Good incentive to stay productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great topic, Lynn. I almost always give myself time off after I finish a book. First, I clean my desk and my office. I always plan to play catch-up on trying to figure out promotion or find images for new covers, but seldom accomplish much. Like you, I'm always antsy to get back to a new writing project. Unlike you, I am not filled with ideas. It takes me a long time to decide on a plot. Wish I could borrow some of the Gems' plotting genes!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner