Friday, September 16, 2016

THE CALL plus 30!

This month marks the 30th anniversary of my first contract offer, commonly known as THE CALL. (I could say I was only a teenager at the time, but that would be a lie.) The long-awaited call came from an editor named Tom at Dell Publishing. I'd just contracted for a second book with a second editor, Jennifer, when Dell closed their romance line. The change of editors and publishers became the norm throughout my career. (The subject of agents would constitute a whole 'nother post.)

Since that first sale, I've sold books to Meteor/Kismet, Harlequin/Silhouette, Kensington/Precious Gems, Wildside Press, Cerridwen Press, Samhain Publishing and finally for myself. Gotta love the age of technology and digital ebook readers!  I really enjoy the freedom of Indie publishing, although it does take a lot of time and patience.

My latest release, ZACK'S RANCH (Bridleton #3) is a combination of all the things I love to write about and have always loved to read. My cowboys are heroes in every sense of the word and my heroines are strong, intelligent women. There's a ranching dynasty featuring a proud, loving family. And in this book, there are also wounded veterans whom I believe deserve as much respect and support as we can offer. Mostly, it's a relationship story with a thread of suspense that makes life a little more challenging.

I don't mind answering questions about writing or the publishing industry, so feel free to ask anything. Just post a note in the comment section at the bottom of the page.

One of the quirks of being an Indie author is being able to control the price of my books. For the month of September, I'm offering ZACK'S RANCH at a discounted rate of $.99 on most online bookstores. If you're feeling lucky, there's also an Amazon Giveaway where you can enter for a chance to win a digital copy. https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/c4e09c1fc563e3cc

As always, readers are welcome to visit my website and sign up for my monthly contest and newsletter. I'll supply links in my signature line for my website, newsletter, Facebook and Twitter. Hope to see you there;-)

Until next time, take care and keep reading!

Hugs, Becky
www.BeckyBarker.com
MailChimp Contest/News
www.Twitter.com/BeckyBarker
www.Facebook.com/BeckyBarker

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I must be satisfying to look back over your successful career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. It's been an adventure. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, Becky! Boy, you've seen a lot of changes in the publishing world over the course of your career. What is your take on online publishing? Do you find that your readers want actual paper books, or are they moving more to digital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saralee - I think digital is the future, but there will always be a love of print books. Most of my reading is done electronically or in audio these days, yet I'll always have a special place in my heart for physical books.

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Becky! May you have many more happy years writing and publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joan. I'm pretty much semi-retired now, but that doesn't keep the stories and characters from crowding into my head. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Becky, you make me feel like a novice (not something easily done). I won't be celebrating my 20th until November. Here's to an industry that allows for such sustainability and variety!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly, it just makes me feel old, Nancy. LOL. Those years sure zipped by fast. Happy 20th year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary, Becky. My 20th isn't for another two years, but I started late. Not sure I'll see the 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Liz. Never say never in this business!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary Becky! Wow, you have sure run the gamet of the publishing world in 30 years. So much change. You've made me think about my own anniversary and I've realized that this summer was my 20th anniversary of "the call" with the book published a few months later. Wow, how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Maddie, and happy 20th to you! My call was in September and the book released in April. I'm guessing not much has changed in traditional publishing since the '40s. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner