Thursday, September 1, 2016

Reflections

This post isn't really a writing post.  It's more of a life-reflections post.  You see, one year ago my father lost his battle with Congestive Heart Failure and kidney disease.  A lot of life has been lived in that year and today I went out to the cemetery and filled him in.  Of course, I know he's not really there.  And yes, I talk to him constantly as I go about my life (and I talk to my mother as well.)

One thing I've learned is to savor the little things.  The perfect sunset, the glorious beauty of a red-tailed hawk flying over head.  The love - oh the love - between you and the ones you hold close. Because you just never know when they'll have to move on to the next phase of life and you'll be left aching, missing them.

As part of my resolve to do things I enjoy, I've been trying to read more and watch less Netflix.  Someone recommended to me Sarah Addison Allen's book GARDEN SPELLS.  I read it and slowly fell in love with her writing.  It's different - descriptive and magical and just plain fun, like allowing yourself a small bowl of homemade peach ice cream.  I'm buying up her back list, as I tend to do when I find an author I love.  And in my own writing, reading hers has reminded me to slow down and savor the words more.

So hey - it turned into a writing post after all.

5 comments:

  1. It's amazing how things turn to writing, isn't it? A great post, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, Karen. We all need to enjoy life a little more and stop sweating the small stuff. I'm also reading and listening to audio books more than I have for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. It's something we all need to hear from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, Karen. Days are so rushed that it's a good reminder that reading shouldn't be a speed event.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner