Friday, September 9, 2016

I was a reader before I was a writer by Jan Scarbrough

Sometime after second grade and by the time I discovered Black Stallion books in the fourth grade, I started loving to read. My ninth grade teacher Mrs. Neff encouraged us to buy and keep books. You can see I have many of them in my library today.

Mrs. Neff also introduced me to the joys of creative writing.

By the time I went to college, I decided to become an English teacher because I loved reading and writing. Flash forward many years—I’m currently a technical writer by day, and at night I write romance novels.

Sadly, because of time constraints, my reading time is often limited to my lunch hour on my iPhone. But, don’t you love Amazon’s 1-Click option? I collect many books that way—326 books in all according to my account info.

Do you have a “To Be Read” list? Here is my list.

  • Mountain Spirit: The Sheep Eater Indians of Yellowstone by Lawrence Loendorf and Nancy Medaris Stone (research)
  • If you can Keep it: The Forgotten Promise of American Liberty by Eric Metaxes (reading a chapter at a time during lunch)
  • Three Sisters, Three Queens by Philippa Gregory (downloaded recently)
  • The Angel’s Share by J. R. Ward (downloaded recently)
  • Money Loves You by Blair Robertson (want to re-read)



What are you reading? If you write, do you think it’s hard to find time to read?

6 comments:

  1. Not only is it difficult to find time to read, it's a challenge to read soley for pleasure. My internal editor is studying the plot, the pacing, the characterization, trying to predict twists and black moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to admit it, I buy some books now and never finish them. I am too critical. ButI hope readers want to finish mine!

      Delete
  2. Teachers make a lot of difference, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Neff showed me I loved to write. We had to complete an essay paper during class. It was great practice.

      Delete
  3. I hate that I can't read as much as I'd like. Having the Kindle helps, but I wish I had more than a few minutes here and there to really get into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it awful to admit you've got dozens of book on that Kindle you've never read? I can't resist that 1-click. Wish there were more time to read.
    I noticed your 2Bread is much like mine. As authors, we have to spend a lot of our time reading non-fiction for research. In the last several years I've read more diaries of real Regency-era women than I've read contemporary romances.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner