Monday, July 18, 2016

Planning For an Upcoming Release

Every author, no matter how long they've been writing, looks forward to release day. Or, as it's come to be known, the "book birthday". There are a number of things that go into preparing for your "book birthday" and most of them revolve around promotion.
As an author of twenty-one published books, I’ve learned to celebrate each release as if it’s the very first. How do I prepare the upcoming event? Well, first of all, I stock up on chocolate...lots and lots of chocolate. I also have two full boxes of K-cups on hand, as well as a chilled bottle of Bailey's.
I'm just not sure which I'll drink first.
I finalize a book-specific media folder, something I do for each book I publish. As a matter of fact, the official promo folder is something I begin when I first start the book. Even before it’s contracted. My philosophy is that it never hurts to be prepared. Plus, everything you’ve gathered helps with the publisher’s cover art and book information forms.
The first thing I do (once the book's file folder is created), is to set up my generic media kit. I begin with a section for what will eventually become the official blurb, followed by a section for one or two excerpts. Both of these sections will be filled in once the book reaches its final galley stage.
The second section is where I’ll place the buy links as soon as they’re available. I include both the long form, as well as the shortened hyperlink. Since not everyone who may be hosting your on their site can copy and paste a hyperlink, it is important to also include the actual url.
The next section is for tweets and Facebook posts. I start those early because ... sometimes ... a line from the book will scream "tweet me"! Both the tweets and the FB posts can be fine-tuned before they're needed. They can also be embellished as promotional efforts continue long after the book's release date.
The fourth section is my author bio which may change from book-to-book depending on the genre. There are certain things in the bio I repeat, but some of the smaller details can be custom-fit for the story. For instance, the book I’m currently working on is an Egyptian-themed time travel and features a number of historically significant facts. Because my story includes these references, I’ll customize my bio to mention my love for Egyptian art and history. My bio for a previous release...a 1960's historical...included a widower with small children. My customized bio, in turn, included the fact that I have five grandchildren.
My media contacts (website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) links make up the next section. This may seem redundant since most of us keep a file just for our media contacts. However, I find it convenient to have everything pertaining to the individual book in one place rather than have to jump from file to file to put together a quick blog visit.
The last section is a generic catch-all. I sometime include “fun facts” if there’s something specific to the book itself. I may also include website urls for any research I have done during the writing process. This is also a great place to list links to any ARC reviews completed prior to release. As well, you can add links to future reviews here so that everything is contained in the same general area.
The one other folder I prepare separate from the media file is a collection of clip art and theme related stock photos and memes. I use these to create my own advertising memes, as well as to enhance guest posts when I guest on various blogs. It's also where I'll place copies of my final cover.
With everything complete, I'm ready for pre-promotion, release day, those aforementioned blog visits and ongoing promotion. I can start counting down the days until it's time to blow out those imaginary candles. Or, if I can get past the excitement, I might just write.

For all the writers out there ... get back to work! For all the readers, please keep reading. You are why we do what we do.

Nancy
P.S.: This is my first post for this blog. I look forward to getting to know the other authors in this wonderful group, as well as the followers of the blog. Please feel free to visit me either on Facebook or my Website.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome, Nancy! We're so glad to have you with us. A great first post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy. You're the organized person I long to be. Some great info you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your process, Nancy. I definitely need more organization.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Nancy, with excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to everyone for their lovely comments. I am definitely an organized person when it comes to the items surrounding my writing. Just don't ask me where I've placed my car keys.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner