Thursday, June 23, 2016

Playlist to Write By



Music has always played as a backdrop to my life. When writing, it has helped me find pacing and mood. Sometimes it has simply jump-started my day. The following songs were all of that and more while I wrote Unstoppable, Book 5 in my Fierce Hearts series. I offer that playlist here as something extra to enjoy about Unstoppable, and in many ways, the entire process of writing the series. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/pjuKmk6H3Ko  Afterlife by Ingrid Michaelson -  A peppy anthem to claiming your own way of living and appreciating self.

https://youtu.be/0KSOMA3QBU0  Dark Horse – This song helped when I was writing scenes that I wanted to feature power and fierceness.

https://www.song365mp3.com/track/rachel-portman-alex039s-father-1380650.html  Alex’s Father from The Lakehouse Soundtrack – A mellow, sultry tone that helped me sink into deep emotional territory the characters needed to travel.

https://youtu.be/1GtKOfg-nX4  This Never Happened Before , another moving song from The Lakehouse Soundtrack, sung by Paul McCartney. It was a soundtrack for me in writing moments of developing relationships and romance.

https://youtu.be/3yDP9MKVhZc  Two Weeks -- I loved this music for helping me write “pain” in my characters. But a warning, it has seriously explicit language.

 https://youtu.be/bTNLYeaL7No  Songbird, by Eva Cassidy – For me, the moment of realization that the characters were opening to love is clear in this song.

https://youtu.be/JGGO6hgu0fE  While writing the wedding scene, A Thousand Years, by Christina Perri, really set the perfect mood for me. I cried as it played and I took the characters down their perfect path to each other and lifetime love.


Is music a backdrop in your life? I’d be thrilled to learn what songs you love.

8 comments:

  1. Lynn - I'm the same about music. I love most genres and listen to many. I also have some favorite CDs I play while writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always want music, but for some scenes it's very helpful.

      Delete
  2. I don't need silence but I don't use music either. In fact, I don't use pictures of my main characters either.

    I'm a weird one, I think because I know a lot of writers use music and pictures for inspiration.

    Neat post and I like that you said why each piece worked for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, so you work at a Starbucks or in the family room while your family is around? I really like silence as a rule. Silence is so rich. But certain songs can help me emote.

      Delete
  3. I can do music but no lyrics. Just instrumental. Lyrics mess with the words in my head. I prefer silence (if I can get it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a rule, I don't use music when I write, though it has always been very important to me. Lynn, you must be a lot younger than me because I'm not familiar with your songs! I tend to gravitate toward songs popular long before I was born. Take Cole Porter's Night and Day for serious romance. Or really old standards like It Had to Be YOu or These Foolish Things. Yes, I'm old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really have to have silence, I guess, because I like working in places with noise, but I can't have music where I'm conscious of it, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice Playlist, Lynn. I usually create Playlists for my books. I begin with a song that really speaks to the mood or action of what I'm writing. I'll listen while writing first draft. When editing or fine tuning, I can't listen to lyrics so I switch to instrumental or foreign language. Songbird by Eva Cassidy is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner