Thursday, June 9, 2016

FIND LOVE ON-LINE

I find it interesting that nearly every single person I know is, or has at some time, dabbled with on-line dating.  It's the way most couples meet these days and yet there is a slim handful of romance novels using that device.


Romance writers are, after all, romantic.  We write about fantasy.  The cute meet.  The twist of fate meet.  The sparks and daggers flying meet.  The brought together by others meet.  And while we might believe in love at first sight, it makes for a boring book.  Our characters must overcome internal and external conflicts to achieve the ultimately satisfying happy ending. 

Back to reality and finding love on-line.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  Living in a town nicknamed "chicktoria" where the women outnumber the men 8-1, I knew my hero was out there somewhere.  I advertised for a "romantic alpha-male".  Men responded that there was no such thing.  I persevered.  I waited.  And one day I got the email that changed my life.

We quickly graduated from email to phone calls.  He made me laugh until tears ran down my cheeks.  He lived in a different city and by the time we met it was like a reunion.  I stepped into his arms for a hug and never left.  Eventually my romantic alpha male moved to the same city as me.  Last year he put a shiny diamond ring on my finger in the most romantic of all evenings, far more romantic than anything I could have written.  The clincher:  his name is Steel.  The same name as one of my heroes written years before we met.

Am I glad I took the chance?  Absolutely!

Will I write about characters who meet on an on-line dating site?  Maybe one day.

10 comments:

  1. Kathleen - love this! We've shared such similar pasts, and even this. I'm so happy for you! And you're right, we don't see that story element so much today. I remember waaaay back, when "virtual romance" was the thing. I don't think I've heard that term in a very long time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maddie. We have definitely seen a lot of change, in our careers and in our lives.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy for you! I'm old enough (and traditional enough--sigh) that it feels foreign and scary to me, but I can't argue with what works for people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Liz. I'm old-fashioned too. I think I was the last hold-out for online dating. I really wanted to meet someone the way it happens in our books. But after 15 years I realized it wasn't going to happen that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO happy for you, Kathleen! More than you know. What does it matter what door love walks in? As long as that door is open!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story, Kathleen! I wish you continued romance and happiness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you said above: by the time we met it was like a reunion. I stepped into his arms for a hug and never left.
    Sigh, so romantic <3
    Congrats, on finding The One

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to see a picture of your alpha hero!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful true life love story.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner