Friday, May 20, 2016

Romance Around the World (Part 1)

One of the really fun things about being an author is seeing your work translated into foreign languages. I've been fortunate to get copies of my books in various languages. I've scanned the covers and some inside pages to give you all an idea of how the translations look.


Some countries print their books in what we would call a backward manner. What English readers consider the back of the book is what other nations consider the front. They read from back to front. One such country is China.

Here's a picture of my book, SASSY LADY, translated to the Chinese language. The cover image is similar to the North American version.

Of course, the characters (alphabet) are much different. I tried to scan the text, but it's a little hard to see. If you look really close, you'll notice that Page 107 is on the left and 106 is on the right.






Another country that prints books back to front is Israel. Here's a copy of my title, LOGAN's LADY, in its Hebrew version. This cover is totally different from the original English version.

I doubt many of our visitors can read the words. In that respect, I have no idea and no control over the translated copies. It's impossible for me to know if my story was properly translated, but I sure hope so.

Quite a few of my books were published in France. I'll share some of those in my next post about Romance Around the World.


I hope you'll all come back and visit for Part 2!

Hugs, Becky
BeckyBarker.com

16 comments:

  1. I'll be giving away a free ebook to one lucky commenter. (which may not be a real word. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my books translated into Dutch. How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the different translations! You'll have to post a pic.

      Delete
  3. What a fun post! I've got a couple in Japan but never China. That must be a fairly new thing--Chinese romance readers. It was always so fun to be translated and get those books in the mail--and the extra money was always nice too. I've been in eight European languages, but outside of Europe only in Brazil (twice) and Japan (twice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most unusual one I had was Estonian. I had to look it up on the map!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Paulette. I'm going to drag a few more out of the garage and scan copies. :-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful thing can happen in publishing! I've had Thai, German and a couple of others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie - I've had several books published in German, but I've never gotten copies of them. I'm sure they'd be interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's exciting to have your books published in other countries, and looking at those covers is fascinating. I wonder how the things we take for granted are viewed in other cultures - if there are things they find strange.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder that, too, Hannah. I'd also be interested to work with an interpreter to watch their process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I should be embarrassed by this, but I didn't know that some countries/languages read from back to front - that's so interesting! Thanks for sharing, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be embarrassed, Robin. I didn't know until I had the books in my hands. LOL!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I plan to scan a few more of the translated books.

      Delete
  11. Loved seeing your foreign translations. I always loved getting foreign copies of my books. My French publisher did the best covers so far.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner