Monday, April 18, 2016

April Showers Bring May Flowers & Memories by Joan Reeves

One of the songs my grandfather used to sing was April Showers. I never knew much about the song until one day last week.

I stood at the windows watching a drizzly rain on the flowers in my back yard when I remembered Papa singing the old song.

A Smidgen of History

I did a little internet research and learned April Showers was indeed popular during the Roaring Twenties. With music by Louis Silvers and lyrics by B. G. De Sylva, the song was published in 1921, the same year it was introduced on Broadway by Al Jolson.

Another historical tidbit is that it is one of many popular songs whose lyrics use "Bluebird of happiness" as a symbol of good cheer.

But Why?

Why is the phrase April showers even in our cultural consciousness? Its origin is rooted in the United Kingdom and Ireland where heavy rains occur in April. These common April rains happen because of the position of the jet stream in early spring.

In 1610, a poem was published that included the phrases, March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers. In later years, that was shortened to: April showers bring May flowers.

April Showers Lead to Romance

Maybe it's because of the sentimental song April Showers that is embedded in my subconscious, but I've always thought the phrase sounded vaguely romantic.

There are a lot of movie scenes where the hero and heroine are kissing in the rain and a lot of websites that list their favorite kissing in the rain scenes.

Fandango lists 12 Great Kissing in the Rain Scenes. They note these scenes are popular because you get two really attractive people in wet clinging clothes kissing passionately. I agree with that assessment.

They list classics that I adore like Breakfast at Tiffany's along with The Notebook and Dear John, and some surprising movies like Daredevil and Spiderman 2.

I even have a rainy love scene in my novel, Romeo and Judy Anne. I wrote that scene with Remember When It Rained by Josh Groban playing over and over. Now when I read that scene, I can hear the song echoing inside.

April Fool Bride

Since I've always had a fondness for April showers and by extension April Fool's Day, is it any wonder that I had to entitle a book with April Fool something?

April Fool Bride resulted from my wondering how many people actually chose April Fool's Day as a wedding day. I think it would take a lot of courage to choose that day for a wedding, wouldn't it?

So it followed that I created a trust fund heiress who, due to various circumstances, gets married on April Fool's Day. The tabloids who have made her life miserable has a field day with that fodder for a headline: April Fool Bride.

To celebrate April, April Fool Bride is on sale for 99cents on Amazon Kindle. here's a blurb for my April romantic comedy.

Oil heiress Madeline Quinn needs a husband by the time she turns twenty-five in order to claim her full inheritance. Mad Maddie, as the tabloids christened her, has learned the hard way that men only see dollar signs when they look at her.

Maddie decides a marriage of convenience is the only answer. She turns to the one man in the world she can trust, her housekeeper’s son who always treated her like a little sister when they were kids growing up together.

Jake Becker hasn’t seen Maddie since the night she tried to seduce him. Why should he help the woman who changed the course of his life? Simple. Revenge.

Or is it something else? Something hot and smouldering that will not be denied?

The next time it rains where you live, I hope it's a gentle April shower that will bring you beautiful blooming flowers in May.

Post Script

I’d be delighted if you’d follow me on 1 or all of these: Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

Triple delighted if you sign up for WordPlay, my email list/newsletter for readers so I can give you a free book.

9 comments:

  1. I'll be glad when our rain stops! Lol. We really need to mow before we head out on Thursday.
    Love the concept of your book! One of my favorite kind of storylines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Monday's flood in Houston, I am SO tired of rain. Everything is flooded here. No power for 18 hours Monday. Hope you get your mowing down. Travel safely.

      Delete
  2. All too often, our "gentle April showers" are accompanied by lashing winds! I remember that song and enjoyed reading a little of its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. Gentle April showers are nice but seldom occur so I appreciate them. Not so much the "world is coming to an end" rains we had yesterday in Houston.

      Delete
  3. Joan - I love the title of your book and the history behind it! Great cover, too.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner