Thursday, March 10, 2016

WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR IDEAS?

We writers are asked that all the time.
 
It was a shock to me in grade school to learn that not everyone has a head full of characters knocking on their skull and asking to be let out to play.  At least that's how it has always worked for me.  Pesky characters demanding stories, secondary characters insisting on their own starring role in the next book, and so it goes. 

But these characters need a plot to show off in.  Plot ideas are all around us.  Eavesdropping, magazines, things that happen to family and friends and can be embellished, news casts, daily papers, talk shows.  Even a writer's overactive imagination as she puzzles through the basics of revenge, possession and escape are all grist for the mill.  I warn my friends that anything they tell me can be spun into a plot.

Fabulous At Fifty came to be because I overheard a group of readers complaining about the fact that so many romance novels feature young heroines.  And while said heroines are more mature and experienced than decades past their stories are not always relevant to the mature reader.

Since we Baby Boomers are now 'of a certain age'  I decided to turn Rachel loose to tell her story,  starting with how her boyfriend dumps her and she gets fired, all on the eve of her big 5-0.

It's not unusual for a woman to turn Fifty and have to reinvent herself.  I know a many who have and I hope Rachel's story, with its mixture of humor and angst is encouraging and empowering for women everywhere.

Since I am really close to my own family, I decided to make it a family series.  Rachel's sister Cassie stars in her upcoming book, Frolicking At Forty, with all the fun that time of life entails, while Rachel's daughter Sam will shine in Flirty At Thirty, with a whole different set of challenges that besets her generation.  These strong, supportive heroines take bits and pieces from  my own friends and family, with many disclaimers..  I hope you enjoy reading about them as much as I did telling their stories. 

10 comments:

  1. Nice post. I like the sound of your series, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the sounds of this series, Kathleen! I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm going to write a hero/heroine in their late sixties! As the Maggie Smith said in the Downton Abbey finale -- It is good to be in love whatever age."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I think it would be a hellatious boxed set--no protagonists under 50!

      Delete
  4. There's just something about being 50, isn't there? I just bought your book. Since you didn't post a link for it, here's the one for Kindle:
    http://amzn.com/B00C51MI9I

    I wrote my "on the eve of 50" novel, OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER, a few years ago. It was great fun smashing all the stereotypes of women in their 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen - I was a little surprised when I learned that not everyone created wild stories in their head, too. LOL. Good luck with the series. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE series! I've read all your books, Kathleen and can't wait to read Cassie and Sam's stories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since we're supposed to write what we want and I, too, am of a certain age, my heroines are now older as well. Someone has to write for our age group...it may as well be us. Looking forward to finding your series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Not as much as I'm looking forward to finishing writing it.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner