Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March Madness: Crazy For Books by Joan Reeves

Good Romance Beats Basketball
If you're freezing up North, hang on. Spring is coming. Soon we'll have crocuses and daffodils popping up, daylight savings time screwing up our lives, and March madness basketball games clogging the television broadcasts.

Different Kind of March Madness

If you're not a college basketball fan--and I'm not--allow me to propose a different kind of March Madness. Let's go crazy over books. For every college b-ball game, buy an ebook. Amass some great feel-good romance novels.

With romance having a multitude of niches, you're sure to find something you like. Romance runs the gamut from sweet to scorching sexy, from mystery to horror, from paranormal to science fiction. There really is something for everyone.

Still Writing?

I thought of the many variations of romance when I was visiting my doctor last week. Every time I see her, she says, "Are you still writing?" I always find this funny. I think it's odd how those who don't read romance use the word still in asking this question. As if perhaps I've come to my senses and changed what I write.

I wonder what she would say if I asked, "Are you still practicing medicine?"

Anyway, when I tell her I am, she'll say, "Well, I don't read romance." Then she tosses in a comment that makes me wonder if it's supposed to be encouragement to change my writing genre and gain a reader. "My husband reads mystery."

So last week I added a little to my answer. I told her I'd joined with some author friends in an anthology that hit the USA Today and the NY Times bestseller lists. Two lists I might add: the digital and the combined print and digital list. Then I remarked about  the variety represented by today's romance genre. There's something for every reading taste.

She oohed and ahhed over the big lists, but didn't look impressed by the latter comment. Oh, well. Like the song says: Different strokes for different folks.

My Story--And I'm Sticking To It

Writing romance is my pleasure and my business. I like creating something that will make readers smile--make them feel good and optimistic. Most of my books are romantic comedy, but I've been branching into romantic suspense too.

I had an idea I'd been wanting to write for a long time about a woman suffering from global amnesia. Of course, she needed the love of a good man so I gave her a husband. The only problem is, she learns her husband hates her. Or does he? You can judge for yourself. That just wasn't romantic comedy material (although I throw in some witty banter at the end). So romantic suspense was what the story called for.

Heat Lightning

Her husband found her, claimed her, rescued her. David’s touch makes Tessa throb. Desire flashes between them like heat lightning on a summer night. Her body knows David, but when she looks at him, he is a stranger to her. Not a flicker of memory is left of him or their life together since she awakened from a coma.

Amnesia has left her with nothing but questions. Who is she? Why does David seem to hate her even as he pulls her into his arms? What is he hiding? How can she trust him when her gut says, “Trust no one”?

Giveaway

I'm giving away 1 copy of Heat Lightning so leave a comment on this post on or before March 7. I'll choose a winner at random and announce it here and email the winner. So leave your email address (write it out, don't leave as a hot link) with a comment telling me what your favorite kind of romance novel is.

Want Your Copy Now?

In case you'd like to get your copy of Heat Lightning now, it's available at: AllRomanceEbooks * Amazon Kindle Shops * iBooks * Kobo * Nook * PageFoundry * Scribed * Smashwords.

By the way, if you read Heat Lightning, I'd truly appreciate it if you would leave a short review.

Get To Know Joan

Joan Reeves is a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author of contemporary romance. She lives her happily ever after with her hero--her husband--in the Lone Star State. All of her books are based on the underlying premise: "It's never too late to live happily ever after."

Find Joan online at her: Amazon Author Page, blog SlingWords, or website. Readers, sign up for her Email List / free NL and receive a free ebook. Writers, sign up for WritingHacks, her free NL with tips about the art, craft, and business of writing.

16 comments:

  1. Great post, Joan. I haven't really evolved with the industry--yes, it's an age thing--and find myself reading lots of Amish romance and other "sweet" ones because it's about the tenderness for me. I'd have to say my favorite kind of romance is the comfort kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the wonderful thing about romance. There's something for every reading taste. Have a great day. Write hard; live free!

      Delete
  2. I went to my doctor yesterday and took my books and handed them out. The front desk staff and nurses ohhed and ahhed.

    I've branched out but not too far.

    And, I'm with Liz, my favorite kind of romance is a comfort kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it feel great to be a "celebrity?" *g*

      To me, a comfort read is a book you greatly enjoyed so you read it again and again just for the satisfaction of that particular reading experience. I have comfort reads in romance, mystery, general fiction, and even science fiction.

      Delete
  3. I'm still writing too, Joan. But some days it comes easier than others. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jan. I know you're still writing. I'm reading Tangled Memories, your new Gothic romance, and enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. Great post Joan! My favourite romances take me away from the 6 o'clock news. I write contemporary mostly but I really enjoy a good historical where I'm not fretting about the issues we see every day on the news. Does that make me careful about my everyday outlook? Yes. I nurture optimism and some days it's harder than others

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I'm with you about escaping the news. How dreary most of it usually is. I think one has to nurture one's outlook. Some wit once wrote: Too much reality is depressing. *LOL*

      Delete
  5. Love the post, Joan! My favorite type of romance is generally the one I'm reading (or writing!) right now. I can't be pinned down to one genre, whether reading or writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maddie. I'm with you on enjoying all genres. So many good books out there.

      Delete
  6. Hi Joan - I think life is all about evolving, be it personally or professionally. I've always loved reading and writing contemporaries, both westerns and suspense, and sometimes western suspense! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, I agree. One must always grow and change. My grandfather (who lived to 100) always told me: "Learn something new every day, and you'll never grow old."

      He was as sharp at 100 as he was in my earliest memories.

      Delete
  7. Joan, Love the post and your premise that it's never too late to live happily ever after.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thanks, Patty. I truly believe that. As long as there is life, there's a chance to learn how to be happy.

      Delete
  8. Isn't that funny how people ask "Are you still writing?" That happens to me, also. Like they think maybe you'll eventually give up this crazy habit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the impression I get too. I've always had to suppress the impulse to ask: "Are you still teaching?" or "Are you still practicing law?" Etc.

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner