Friday, March 25, 2016

I'm grateful for Precious Gems

By Cheryl Bolen

I owe a lot to the Kensington Precious Gems line. My second published book, a Regency historical titled A Lady by Chance, was published there in 2000, shortly before the line shut down. It was soon published in Dutch.

I went on to publish eight more historicals with Kensington in the next five years. I felt I could publish at a quicker pace, but I was grateful for any slots I could get in the publishing schedule.

Then in 2011, epublishing took off and I was fortunate enough to get in during those early days when reading devices were gaining their foothold in the marketplace. The first book I re-published was that Precious Gem. It stayed in the Top 100 bestselling historical romances at Amazon for two full years.

Because it performed so well, Crossings translated it for the popular German market—becoming my first-ever book in German.

It gets even better. I banded with three other Regency authors two years ago to put out a boxed set of four full-length Regency novels titled Scandalous Brides. My entry in that set was my solo Precious Gem, Lady by Chance. That set soared to number 4 on the New York Times bestseller list for combined print and digital and to number 12 on the USA Today bestseller list.

That little book has kept on giving. Because it was such a favorite with readers, last year I decided to build a series around Lady by Chance. So I published a second titled Duchess by Mistake, and it was followed by A Countess by Coincidence. I couldn't be more pleased at how this series has done. I'm happy, too, that the Precious Gems authors have stayed close, and I'm excited to be part of the Gems in the Attic blog. More information can be found on my website, http://www.cherylbolen.com/, or visit my Facebook page at http://fbl.ink/Facebook.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl. I loved reading your story about the "little book that keeps on giving." My first Precious Gem, too, was also picked up by Amazon Crossing! What a coincidence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love Crossings, Maddie. I wish they would pick up more of mine, but I don't think historicals perform as well as contemporaries. (Though I'm very happy with those monthly deposits!)

      Delete
  2. PG HAS been the gift that keeps on giving, hasn't it? I love reading what's happened with everyone since those days. I'm glad for you, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story about your story, Cheryl! LOL. Continued success with the series.

    Hugs, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, what a fab story! Thanks for sharing it. I've often recalled our fun night of dinner (dance lessons) and wandering the streets of NYC. So glad you came up with the series idea. Hm...now I'm wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Bonnie, that was fun. I highly encourage you, if you have any stand-alone books, to figure out a way to make a series out each. I called my series the House of Haverstock, and it did better than anything I've done. One of those books in that series that was published last year earned me $50,000 in just half a year! Readers love series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours is an inspiring experience. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cheryl ~ It's awesome how you wrote sequels last year, building on a novel from a decade earlier. You're inspiring.
    All best,
    Caragh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Caragh, the books were FIFTEEN years apart. Best business move I've ever made!

      Delete
  8. You are inspiring because of your enterprise. Congratulations on your success.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheryl, I know your story, but I never get tired of reading it. Many congratulations on your success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan. You've always been helpful along the path.

      Delete
  10. I love your story. It just shows that readers never grow weary of finding a good book. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner