Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Adventures

I had my husband take my manuscript, Bachelor Party, to the post office in our small Texas town because I couldn't look the postal workers in the eye. I could just hear them thinking, 'Oh, she wrote another book.' That was on a Tuesday. Hilary Sares called to make me an offer on Friday. 

And the rest is history. I lived happily ever after getting so many contracts I couldn't write fast enough. Well, um, that's not exactly how it went down. Shortly after my book came out, the line closed. It would be another two years before I sold again. It's the nature of the beast. 

During the tough times I go back to nursing. It's always good to have a license to fall back on. Someone once asked why I didn't just quit. I can't. I've tried. There's just something about putting words on paper, creating stories, that somehow feels right.

I'm currently getting the rights back to my older books and putting them out independently. I'm also working on a 6 book series that will be out later this year. This is an exciting time for me filled with new adventures. We put the house on the market, bought a fifth wheel (RV) and hubby and I are going to roam the U.S. until we get tired of the gypsy lifestyle. I'll write and Karl will publish my books. I should be able to come up with lots of story ideas since we have a tendency to get lost at the grocery store. 

If you could choose your adventure, what would it be?

Best Wishes,
Karen

12 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm choosing my own adventure these days. I always thought I'd like to spend six months or so doing what you and Karl are doing, but then I'd want back in my house! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved to the fifth wheel in October, which is parked right next to the house. Kind of a trial and error. Definitely a learning curve but one we can handle. The trade off is going to make it all worth it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen! Your grand adventure sounds lovely. I wish I were so brave! Not sure I could talk the SO into it though. Still, to be footloose and fancy-free...

    Speaking of, my adventure would be selling out and buying a small beach shack. There, I could be happy all my days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, I thought I replied but it disappeared apparently. We're definitely not brave! We just don't want to go to our graves wondering what we could've done. Since the RV is self contained we're planning on spending a lot of time on the beach.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely adventure you'll have Karen! You may get hooked and stay on the road for even longer than you think. Do come up to Canada and tour as well. It's pretty spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla...you'll get there! And the grandchildren will love hearing your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, we've been to Canada and it's spectacular. The people are very friendly. We're planning on going that way at some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karla, but look how big Texas is! Lol I still haven't seen it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen - best of luck with your new adventure! It's great that your hubby will publish the books for you. I keep telling mine he needs to learn the basics, but he's still mastering email. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Most of the time we're both stumbling through everything. Learning the internet better is at the top of my to do list. Of course, once I learn something, it all changes again.

      Delete
  8. Glad to have you here, Karen. My grand adventure would be doing nothing for a month. What a treat that would be instead of always being over-scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have noticed you have a lot of irons in the fire lol. I'm discovering there are a lot of benefits to getting older--less irons. I think, for me, I'm finding which irons are the most important and discarding the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner