Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A guest in the Attic!

The Gems welcome Holly Jacobs to the Attic today.

I love oldy but goodies! My Precious Gems were revamped and rereleased last year under their original titles, Bosom Buddies and Cinderella Wore Tennis Shoes.  I'll confess, I have having my titles changed and I loved that I could go back to these originals. Although, sometimes my own title bites me in the...well, butt.  I wrote a proposal for A Day Late and a Bride Short.  I'll confess, I don't remember what my original idea was, but I do know that when the Senior Editor for the line saw it, she told my editor she was disappointed...she thought with that title it would be a marriage-of-convenience.  I do remember it wasn't that at all.  Frankly, I wasn't sure how to make a contemporary story about a MOC.  But I said, "It will be that."  And then wrote this story I didn't expect to write.  It won a More than Magic Award and was a Romantic Times Bookclub Top Pick.  

I think there are two lessons here.  The first is, oldies can be goodies...I hope.  The second is, don't be afraid to take an unexpected path...something fun might be waiting for you!!

Holly

12 comments:

  1. Holly, I think you're great at titles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cheryl! I'll confess, there have been a few that changed and I liked the new one better. But for the most part, I like my titles best. The one change I'm most bitter about was my "Weekend at Bernie" type romance. There's a dead body that keeps appearing in the story. I wanted to call it Can't Find No BODY. They named it Found and Lost. SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a book I still don't like talking about because talking about it means saying the title (The Debutante's Second Chance). I would have called it On the River Walk, and then I wouldn't mind talking about it! :-)

    Glad you're here, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz, Well, I'll confess, that I do talk about Found and Lost, but I always include the title I really wanted! LOL I like On the River Walk a lot!!

    And thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your titles. And you make a good point about taking a different path not knowing what will happen. It reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, "Not all those who wander are lost," from Tolkien. It resonates strongly with me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, I love that Tolkien quote! Did you know the other day was Tolkien Reading day?? I celebrated! I have green leather bound Hobbit and a red leather LOTR's that I love so much I put them in a book! LOL

    And thanks. I've had more than one experience with a book I thought was going to be one thing ending up being something else entirely. And never once have I regretted it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Holly. Glad to see you here on the GEMS blog. I love the cover of A DAY LATE AND A BRIDE SHORT. Actually, I don't see why anyone would think it was a MOC. My guess on just seeing the title would be a Runaway Bride story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, It would have worked well for that type of story, too! And it's nice to be here!! I do love my Gem Friends!

      Delete
  8. Hi Holly! So glad you see you stopped in to the Gems blog! Great to see you here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, Holly! Those little gems just keep shining. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky!! It's always fun hanging with you!!

      Delete

Subscribe to this Blog!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner